Today was a day that really brought the whole idea of counterfeiting to life for me. I've seen counterfeits before in the Caribbean, or New York but never since I completed my fashion studies. But, before that there was a showroom visit I should mention.
We visited Mr BBQ - and it was exactly what it sounded like. A showroom of barbecue products. Certainly not much of a fashion element here. But, in someways it was better. We had a frank discussion of merchandising and what it is in when you work as a professional in an industry with a merchandising component. Working doesn't always occur between 9-5. It takes time to build a career. We learned a bit about product development, a bit about adapting to meet the needs of the customer. It was well worth the time. He also spoke to culture and working in different countries with different types of people. That was something that was a common theme in the two showroom visits.
It was important theme in the trip. It's not just business where culture plays a part. Few and far between were the moments where it was apparent "We aren't in Kansas anymore"
The next thing on the agenda was devoted to a trip to Stanley Market. That involved some devotion - a ferry, and then a long bus ride. After a quick lunch we were ready to explore. This was another example of culture differences but it was a major lesson in stolen goods and counterfeiting.
Stolen purses were abundant. Everywhere. Being fashion person I could see fakes, but it was clear that many of the tourists (and our girls) were amazed at how close they could be. I think there were a lot of stolen goods as well. A lot of products I've seen in the states were available for prices no where close to what they should be (granted it's not like these vendors pay import tax!).
After Stanley I went to PS Culture next to the hotel. Another lesson in fakes. I had been there earlier in the week and was told by one of the California girls that the owner had brought it bags for me. When you enter the store the displayed bags are imitations of designers from across the globe. Prada, Celine, Chanel. But, all the bags were unmarked. This was how he gets around the law. He sends the bag away after purchase and it returns with the appropriate hardware and stamping. But, I couldn't help but wonder how much these laws are enforced. A) I saw fakes all over the night market and at Stanley. B) He had no problem bringing the fakes back into the store.
No comments:
Post a Comment