The day starting with another early rise for me. I have no kids on this trip. I should be sleeping to the last possible second... But, noooooo. I'm up. In all reality I'm still super shaking from the blood sugar drop last night. Or heat stroke. I don't know what it was but I am still sick. My husband called my dad and my dad called in the middle of the night. (He is a doctor). Breakfast makes me sick again but I am determined to power through. After all, it's Fashion Week Day 1!
But first we are off on what we will discover is another Pamela adventure. Or as her daughters-in-law call it: Death March. It was. I don't know why this woman insisted on running us ragged in the heat and humidity but that is for another time.
We headed to a traditional Chinese department store. Let's just say it is nothing like a modern American department store. Maybe it is a reflection of some descriptions I have read from the 1950's...It sold fabric. Heck, it sold groceries! Cosmetics and other novelty products adorned the first floor (not unlike the layout of today's dept store...I guess what women want doesn't change too much worldwide). But, other floors displayed products from antiques to jewelry to kitchy fabric. It was an experience. As I wandered from dept to dept (much of it by myself because I don't always like to shop in groups) I noticed that customer service was not something valued in China. When purchasing my pearl cream they swiped my card three times...When I tried to ask what was happening I was yelled at. One thing I find the most boggling is they will not give you your credit card back until you sign your receipt. God forbid if you stay at the counter too long though. Anyway, I picked up a few items (including foot insoles because my back and every nerve in my leg was hurting at this point). I searched for coconut water to help my heatstroke/bloodsugardrop/dehydrationatthispoint to no avail. But the best part of this experience was the tea tasting. We sat down at an ornate (and beautiful!) wood carved table for a tea tasting. Everyone in the group bought the Jasmine tea. I've had it in the States but this was light and fresh and I truly enjoyed it.
And it's time for Fashion Week. No just kidding it's time for a death march. Lalala, lot's of walking and we make it to the convention center! Pamela was right about one thing- They truly were happy to have a group of Americans there. It was actually a bit nerve wracking knowing we were there under false pretenses. But I was going to enjoy every minute. And I did. I walked around and enjoyed some small vendors. A few had kid's lines which are my primary interest (Yes, I am the girl that pays insane amounts for kids clothes. Yes, I think children can be as chic as adult. Shoot me.) But the real highlight of the day was the Young Designers Show.
I could just die for this designers clothes.
Jenna and I having a little fun pre-show.
The clothes were incredible. The show felt so much bigger in that moment then the entire trade show put together. There was this energy, this feeling of excitement that really had me going. Models walked from every direction and some of the clothes were simply spectacular. Not all but a few made me feel like I could have been sitting in New York City. I fell in love with Sandra Chou. Her look wasn't as fashion forward as some of the others, in fact its wasn't as fashion forward as I would normally like to see from someone presenting on a runway. But, it was wearable. I saw myself (a few lbs lighter) in her clothes. I saw her girl and I understood Sandra. I got her message. I drank her Kool-Aid.
After that the day was pretty much over, I visited a few booths before the desire for food took over. We headed back to the hotel, ate, I got sick again, and we laid low. Until the night market that is.
The night market is an experience. I wish I had taken photos; it's a little street market with vendors selling everything you can imagine. From kids chopsticks (yes, I bought some) to knock-off purses (at this point I still resisted) to statues (yes) and knock of art pieces (yes, yes) the volume of merchandise and variety were amazing. It was a bit like if you have ever visited the Caribbean and attended a street market there. But, waaaaay cooler stuff. And way more.
That said it was a bit intimidating. I watched an Australian almost come to blows with a vendor when he understood he was talking about his wife. This was a time where culture differences became pretty evident. Many vendors got insulted when you low-balled them. Many took issue if you walked away from an offer they considered a compromise. More so than any other country I have been too. They got mad if I walked away even if they didn't meet me in the middle. Which wouldn't be so bad if say, they were making the stuff. But, two booths over you could find the same merchandise for cheaper.
Then again some of the vendors were exactly what I expected. Ready, to make a deal. I think the types of people selling at this market varied as much as could be. They were all different. But, the think they had in common was that this is a way of life for them and they took it seriously. I did enjoy myself and get a little purchase happy but it made me think a lot when I got back to the hotel. These people were not exactly living the high life. I couldn't help but think of the people that MADE the little chotchkies that were sold. What are their lives like?
No comments:
Post a Comment