Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Doing it, and doing it and doing it well.

Day Three. Hong Kong. And if you are wondering it's still bloody hot.

Today was an awesome day. We started off with a trip to a toy showroom that was fun and informative. The mother in me of course loved the preview of all the hot toys headed our way in the next 15 months. Our guide, one of the companies VPs, was great at breaking down the schedule that buyers are currently purchasing under. I was impressed to hear the companies they were working with: Target, Walmart, Crayola - Dollar Tree was arriving the very next day! I think in many ways this may have been my favorite part of the trip.

Then it was back to Fashion Week. Today I got to see much more of the trade show. I was actually a bit let down by the whole thing. Having been to MAGIC in Las Vegas I was surprised at the small scale of the event. Especially after some of the articles I read for the class. I had also done my own research on the internet and expected something to that would be much more impressive.

It wasn't a total bust though. I want to open a store one day and the trip proved fruitful for that. During some of our walk around time I went around and met some different manufactures of children's clothes that fit into the image of the store that I plan to open. A few of them even had minimums that I think I can work with. While I don't have a buying plan just yet I have a rough idea of what I think I would need to support my planned brick and mortar/online operation and the numbers seemed reasonable. Plus, after the fashion show I got to meet Sandra, my favorite designer from the Young Designers Show. She was lovely - she spent a semester at FIDM and showed me her line and pieces she didn't display at the show. I hope to be in contact with her soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment