Monday, July 21, 2014

Now We're Off!

Day One.

"I'm in China! Holy Cow! I'm so excited to be in China I am up at 5 am!"

Kelli my roommate is an early riser. Which is good because I laid in bed for a long time being afraid of waking her. We got ready, I called home and we headed to breakfast.

And So It Begins.

The day's itinerary was full. We started off with a trip to Victoria Peak on a bus tour. The view was spectacular, even though the day was a bit cloudy. We were not there long before heading off on a Sampan ride, recommended by Mary. It was heartbreaking to see how some of those fisherman lived - especially when you consider they actually had a better life than many had left in the mainland. The traditionalist in me also was sad to hear that so few people were carrying on the fishing tradition that had sustained their family for generations. I think that is also becoming problem for many small business owners in the states. I did an article for work where I interviewed business owners who were nearing retirement - so few had children who wanted to continue on with the family business.
The View from Victoria Peak. 

Riding the sampan.

We rounded out the bus part of the tour with a trip/tour of a jewelry store that designs its own products where I narrowly escaped buying a ring that would have seriously impacted the bus on my trip. Good thing because there were big purchases in my future that day. We then headed to an area off the beach of the famous deep water harbor to look at a series of statues and 1000 year old gates. I wish I could have heard Mary to learn more about where we were. The gate was beautiful and so were the statues in the area. I'll never forget it.

We headed back to the hotel for drop off and then I went to a Chinese restaurant for dim sum. I was so excited, because one of the things I had looked forward to the most was the food in China. Most of the time I'm up for anything. Long and short, it did not disappoint.

You know what I don't need. Another jacket.

Next up was a trip to Pete's Fashions. I came prepared with a series of jackets all pulled from the collections of some of my favorite designer's presentations at Fall Fashion Week 2014. I went intending to buy two...And then found out they were pricer than I expected. So I started to think I might not buy one...Then I saw it. A jacket on the sample rack that looked like it was made for me. Lately, my personal style has found me reinventing navy. Navy I think is traditionally a preppier color. I want a dark, edgy navy. This jacket was that. A military style with shiny black buttons. There was not a question in my mind I had to have it. So I told them what features I didn't care for and handed over my credit card without a thought. We kept talking about the other jackets I liked...and we will continue that story in another post.

We ended the day with some pearl shopping and drinks at the hotel bar before heading to the light show with some of the girls from California. I hate to say it but if you're reading this thinking about going to Hong Kong - skip it. Maybe it was missing the 4th of July fireworks. Perhaps as an American I am jaded. But it was not impressive. I couldn't believe how many people were lined up and ready to watch something that was so lame. And how these people all fell for it like I did.



This was the light show. You are now as wowed as I was.


We went from the light show to a quick tour of the area we were staying in (read: we got a little lost) before going to dinner. And I had either a heat stroke or serious blood sugar drop.

Let's Focus On The Good.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment