The trip to China was long. Really long. After an early in the day arrival in the airport we got great news. Delayed.
Our second flight, from Jersey to Hong Kong was delayed by two hours. Then we were delayed another two hours. So we waited. The silver lining of course is that at least we weren't delayed to Newark. I mean as much as no one wants to spend extra time in New Jersey at least we weren't delayed GOING to Newark... It would have been so much worse to miss the flight to Hong Kong.
But before our we were still filled with excitement and adrenaline. We didn't want to waste around knowing we still had over 14 hours of continuous flying ahead of us. So what do you do when you want to kill time in an airport? Drink. And wait.
We found a seafood bar with a nice ambiance after lunch and ordered a few rounds. The group exchanged Instagrams, had a few laugh and burnt off some steam before our long flight.
Before we knew it it was time to board. I was practically shaking with excitement... For at least a little while.
It was a long flight. Have I said that yet? Seriously, it was lengthy. It was extended. It was prolonged. It was extensive. It lingered. (Thanks Thesaurus.com!) Thank goodness I sprung for the bulkhead at the last minute. So we flew, and we waited. I didn't think I would make it.
But I did. We all did, some of us barely. Fourteen hours and something minutes later we were there. The excitement was back. Mary, the cutest little Chinese tour guide ever greeted us at the airport after a trip through customs and baggage claim and off we went. The drive from the airport wasn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be. I wanted to see more of the city since I saw nothing during the fly in.
After checking out our rooms a few of us weren't willing to waste a minute. So, off we went to a little row of bars around the corner from the hotel that we had noticed on the way in. And we were rewarded. We couldn't find food so we just settled for the fourth bar, where we had been told the band was about to start back up. They were awesome. A Chinese cover band doing Tina Turner, Journey, and Michael Jackson? That's a great first night in Hong Kong. We only lasted one drink, but we had as much fun as if we'd been out all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment